The previous bulletin http://www.jcu.edu.au/office/itr/archives/centralcomputing/msg01319.shtml, sent out on the 16/2/09 indicated that ITR would be rolling out the new NetAccess system to James Cook University as a whole on the 23/02/09. Due to unforeseen implementation issues this roll out will be postponed. It is now intended to roll out to the wider JCU community one week later on the 2/3/09.
These unforeseen issues are being addressed by the vendor and ITR staff. Further testing is required by ITR prior to the full roll out and will be complete for the new roll out date.
What will change?
- This system is separate from CopyPrint, unlike the previous LabPrint system.
- You can add funds to your account through StudentsOnline by selecting "NetAccess" as the payment type.
- You can add funds to your account via cash or EFTPOS at the Lending Services desk in the Library (Townsville and Cairns campuses); or at the Student Enquiry centre on the Ground floor Humanities 2 or via your credit card through StudentsOnline. The minimum credit card transaction is $20.00. The minimum amount to add by cash or EFTPOS is $5.00.
- The new system will intercept your first web access off campus and ask for your username and password. Once accepted, it will redirect to your requested site.
- The system has a pop-up which keeps Internet Access active.
- The cost of data has fallen significantly from previous years.
- Quota is allocated as a standard $24 per user per year.
- Quota for staff, delegate and external accounts is allocated yearly.
- Quota for students is allocated monthly.
- The quota shown is how much you have left. Once you reach zero you will be shaped and ultimately blocked from off-campus access.
- You can view your NetAccess balances online from the NetAccess link in StudentsOnline.
What about payments and transfers?
Any previous balances from the previous LabPrint system were transferred to the CopyPrint service on 16 February 2009
New and existing students will be able to access the NetAccess link in StudentsOnline from 10:00am on Wednesday, 18th February 2009.
When will the changeover happen?
The current schedule is for NetAccess to be active for both Townsville and Cairns campuses from 10:00am Monday, 2 March 2009.
Installation of new NetAccess service
The testing of the system will begin with activation of the system for the Townsville residential colleges on 10:00am Wednesday, 18th February 2009.
The site "jet.jcu.edu.au" must be allowed to open pop-ups via the browser, instructions on allowing this are at:http://cms.jcu.edu.au/libcomp/assist/guides/azguides/JCUPRD_036929
For more information please see http://www.jcu.edu.au/netaccess/