25 - 31 May 2009
Libraries connect people to ideas. It's a vital part of our commitment to promoting the free flow of information and facilitating all Australians' access to recorded knowledge, information, and creative works. This year’s theme highlights the self-directed discovery element of libraries and to celebrate libraries as the place to access, communicate, connect, educate, entertain and inform.
"Australians benefit from services provided by approximately 9,000 school libraries, 42 university libraries, 387 TAFE campus libraries, and thousands of health libraries, law libraries and other special libraries."
If you haven't been to the JCU Libraries lately, come along and experience the great spaces we have to help you with your studies; reacquaint yourself with our online services or contact your subject Librarian for assistance.
- There are approximately 12 million registered users of public libraries in Australia – almost half of Australia’s total population
- There are over 1,500 public libraries in Australia with approximately 108 million visits to public libraries each year
- Each year Australia’s public libraries lend over 178 million items
- There are over 6,400 internet computers in public libraries in Australia and a further 1,600 computers for word processing etc.
- There are 448 health/medical libraries. Health librarians are responsible for knowledge support to clinicians, managers, educators, researchers and some directly serve patients or health consumers.
- There are over 400 corporate/business libraries in Australia and they play a key role in ensuring that business strategy and decision-making is supported by accurate, current, relevant information sources
- There are over 400,000 fulltime-equivalent TAFE students in Australia and they are supported by 387 campus libraries. TAFE libraries had 14 million visits in 2006
- There are over 21 million loans every year in Australian university libraries
- In 2007-08, 7.7 million people visited Australian and New Zealand national and state libraries and 132 million people visited their website.