|The original route to the quarantine station was further inland, this photo shows the later construction of the coast road. North Queensland Photographic Collection ID 4323, T'ville Albums.|
Leprosy patients seem not to have been housed at any of the quarantine stations after 1907 when a leprosarium for all Queensland sufferers was established on Peel Island, in Moreton Bay. In 1940 Indigenous patients at Peel were moved north to Fantome Island. The leprosarium (or lazaret) on Fantome remained until 1973 and was the subject of a 2011 documentary film.
The Pallarenda quarantine station, which also served as an army hospital during World War 2 and the later Malay emergency, closed in 1973 and the following year became the first home of the Australian Institute of Marine Science. The land now forms part of Cape Pallarenda Conservation Park and the buildings accommodate Queensland National Parks staff and offices.