|Hospital on Ross Island, NQ Photographic Collection ID 348, Willmett & Wyeth Album.|
With a frontage of 50 feet, wide verandahs and 4 wards, each containing 5 or 6 beds, this was certainly an advance on the Strand cottage but it was not long before the deterioration of the buildings, no doubt exacerbated by the collapse of the roof in 1875, prompted demands for a replacement. In 1878 tenders were called for the next “new” hospital, to be constructed on the northern slopes of Stanton Hill.
|Hospital on Stanton Hill in the early 1900s, NQ Photographic Collection ID 4317, Townsville Albums|
|New hospital takes shape on Eyre Street site approx.1950, NQ Photographic Collection ID 252, W.J.Laurie Album|
Kay Jaumees History of the Townsville General Hospital 1861-2001 is held in the North Queensland Collection.