The University has as part of its areas of interest in the tropics the Centre for Disaster Studies. It was established in 1979 after major cyclones; Althea in Townsville in 1971 and Tracy in Darwin in 1974. It is Queensland's only Disaster Research Unit.
With the cyclone and fire season again upon us you could look up local information about cyclones and other emergency events
- The JCU webpages at Emergency: Natural Disasters
- Townsville City Council Disaster Information
- Cairns City Council Cyclone and Emergency Information
- Natural Hazards and Disasters by Donald Hyndman & David Hyndman published 2014
- The Indian Ocean Tsunami by Pradyumna M. Karam eBook online version published 2010