|Newspaper clipping with hand written note by E R. Hayles, E. R. (Bob) Hayles Album, NQ Photographic Collection, NQID 3541.|
Quarantine at Picnic Bay
In 1875 land was set aside at West Point, Magnetic Island, for a Quarantine Station although no buildings were constructed until 1884. In the interim, quarantine quarters consisted of tents on Picnic Bay beach for women and children. Men were supposed to build their own shelters from any available materials.
Conditions, including provisioning, were poor. Those experiencing quarantining described hunting for game or bartering for fish with the Aborigines and noted that water was also in short supply.
Given these dire conditions, it is not surprising that there was resistance to entering quarantine, to the frustration of health officials. Wiburd (in ‘Notes on the history of Marine Quarantine in Queensland, 19th century’ Journal of the Royal Historical Society of Queensland volume 3 issue 5, 1945) described one such case.
R.M.S. "Normanby" arrived at Townsville, on 11th July, 1877, from Singapore, via Cooktown, where pratique had not been granted. The surgeon reported that there had been four cases of Asiatic cholera on board, two of which had died, the last death having occurred on 5th July. The health officer (Dr Russel Frost) ordered the vessel to remain in quarantine and instructed the master to remain in port. The captain, however, proceeded south and following a request for prosecution with which the Colonial Secretary refused to concur, Dr Frost resigned. No urther particulars are available in regard to this vessel beyond the fact that she was quarantined on arrival in Sydney.
West Point and its Problems
The first buildings at West Point were constructed in 1884 and 1885. The site was always unsatisfactory for its intended purpose with an inadequate water supply and a difficult landing for sick passengers or for supplies. The limitations of size also became very apparent during the most serious epidemic that Townsville has endured, bubonic plague.
SS Cintra arrived in Townsville in April 1900 with cases of plague and over 50 passengers who needed to be quarantined as potential contacts but had to be housed separately from the actual cases. The first death from the plague in Townsville was that of Walter Carde, a 23 year old steward on the ship. He died at the quarantine station at West Point, Magnetic Island, on 6 May 1900 and was buried at West Point where his gravestone still stands.
|Walter Carde's headstone on Magnetic Island dated 1885. Magnetic Island heritage study by Judith Jensen, 2002. NQ Collection. Copyright: Townsville City Council|
- Ms Jean Dartnall and Dr Alan Dartnall