Townsville Post Office
For over 100 years the Post Office has been a Townsville landmark. It was designed by John James Clark, Queensland Colonial Architect. Tenders were called in December 1885 with Dennis Kelleher’s, for £8,197, being accepted. The building, erected in stages between 1886 and 1889, included a public space and a residence for the Postmaster.
|Townsville Post Office in Flinders Street. c. 1910. Townsville Albums, NQ Photographic Collection, NQID 4505.|
|Item from the Townsville Post Office Plans Archive, JCU Library Special Collections.|
In 2001 the building was converted for use as a boutique Brewery, bar and restaurant.
Fielding, Trisha, “North Queensland History blog.”
Queensland Heritage Listing.
Townsville Daily Bulletin, 18 June 1927.