Reading Challenge Reviews: Dolphins and Cats and Dogs

The mammals are taking over this week's reviews for the theme of "Animals and Plants" in the 2019 Reading Challenge.

The new librarian on deck, Gabriella, joins the party with a book about dolphins (think of something you want to know about dolphins, it might be in this book). Shannon found a book of poetry about cats - or is that by cats? And Louise revisited an old wolf and found a new dog.

What are you reading?


Dolphin Mysteries opens to a new understanding of the vocabulary and interactions between these amazing animals.  How do you eavesdrop on a dolphin when they spend 99% of the time underwater? It was Dudzinski & Frohoff’s chapter called Eavesdropping that I found most captivating, where explanations of the dolphin’s body language and how the slight difference of body rubs and touches are interpreted.   This chapter also helps distinguish between different types of “dolphinalities’.   

Through other chapters in this book, the authors comprehensively cover topics including the dolphin anatomy, intelligence, conservation and the dolphin’s response to human interaction.  The passion and enthusiasm of the authors in regards to their research will appeal to readers who are interested into taking a deeper dive into the oceans and learn more about these creatures.

Non-Fiction, Author I haven’t read before, eBook.

Shannon Harmon read I Could Pee on This, and Other Poems by Cats, by by Francesco Marciuliano.

As a cat loving librarian I couldn't go past reading 'I could pee on this: and other poems by cats' when I saw it, although I did make sure my own cat didn't see it (I don't want him getting ideas). This pocket size book is filled with short poems guaranteed to make you laugh and I'm sure many cat owners can relate or appreciate the situations described.

Finally cats can tell us what they want and need "through the power of poetry and a publishing contract, cats everywhere can fully welcome people into their hearts, minds, and souls". The book is divided into 4 chapters: family, work, play, and existence, I'm sure all the things that are important to the world of cats. There are poems that explain the devastation of changes in food, lamb instead of chicken what are you thinking, and all things play toys including those broken plates and glasses. If you ever feel guilty when going to work or introducing a new pet, the cats have covered this as well.

Fiction, Author I haven’t read, 810 MAR(F) 1B ICO

Louise Cottrell read The Call of the Wild, White Fang, and Other Stories, by Jack London.

I think I was 10 when I found a copy of White Fang. It was a small, unassuming, and well-loved, but it had a black and white illustration on the cover that I fell in love with. I had to have it and begged my mother for the 20 cents to buy it from the charity shop. It was the best 20 cents I've ever spent. I read that book with alarming frequency for years, hauled it up and down the East Coast and loved it even as it became fragile. I was 26 but I cried when our 10 week old puppy thought it was the "best toy ever!" and turned it into confetti.

White Fang tells the story of a wolf pup growing up in the wild who slowly becomes 'civilised' through human contact and finding his 'furever home.' The reverse of this story is The Call of the Wild, a story where a 'civilised' dog is kidnapped from his comfortable home and gradually becomes 'wild.'

I have only just read The Call of the Wild but I loved it nearly as much as White Fang, and highly recommend them both. For a 'classic' they are an easy read, but please note that they contain violence, dog-fighting, animal abuse, and alcoholic drinking. The struggle for survival in the natural world is harsh, and humans can be cruel in their whims and pursuit of profit.

Side note: Did I read the other stories mentioned in the title of the book? Not yet, but I'll get there.

Fiction, 810 LOND 1B SEL

Comments